- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- sprinkle, or heavy handed shake, of cayenne pepper (depending how spicy you would like it to be)
- 1kg lamb of any cut you choose; shanks, bone shoulder, bone leg (if on bone cook for longer)
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 400g can kidney beans
- water or stock
- 1 cup red wine of your choice
Brown lamb if desired. Place lamb in slow cooker or in a pot in the oven for 5 hours at 85ºC. Add tomatoes with juice, carrots, onion, celery, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add wine then cover with water or stock and cook for 6-8 hours on low. Check lamb periodically and give it a stir.
After approximately 6-7 hours, when meat is a soft (lamb shank) consistency, remove lid and add kidney beans. Serve lamb with cous cous or polenta.