- 50g shredded toasted coconut
- 75g fried and crushed peanuts
- 2 tbsp roasted chilli paste in soy bean oil (available from Asian supermarkets)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp dark palm sugar
- 16 scallops
- 16 iceberg lettuce leaves (or betel leaves if available)
- 1 long red chilli deseeded, cut into fine strips 2cm long
- ¼ cup coriander, coarsely chopped
- few pieces of fresh lime, peeled and segmented
- crispy fried shallots – optional
Combine the coconut, peanuts, chilli paste, fish sauce, sweet chilli, dark palm sugar and lime juice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat. Using a cookie cutter, cut circles out of the lettuce leaves. Over a high heat sear the scallops on a welloiled barbecue flat plate (or in a pan on the stove). Sear well on one side before turning, and arrange on the lettuce leaf circles.
Spoon over the sauce and garnish with the lime segments (or instead use crispy shallots), chilli and coriander, or you can place a small dob of the sauce straight onto the lettuce leaves, topped with the scallops and other garnishes.
Note: you can make up to four batches worth of the sauce and freeze separately in small containers. When you are ready to use, just defrost and scoop onto leaves. Makes for a very easy entertaining idea.
Enjoy this dish with De Bortoli Deen Vat Series 2. Sauvignon Blanc