- 4-5 smallish potatoes, peeled
- 200g green beans, top and tailed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices day-old bread, cut into cubes
- 1 head cos lettuce
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 x 200g tin or jar tuna in brine or oil, drained and flaked
- 47.5g tin good quality anchovies in oil
- 16 small black olives
- ¼ cup wine vinegar
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
Boil the potatoes and green beans separately in salted water until cooked. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes. The beans should have a slight crunch. Cut potatoes into chunks.
Boil the eggs until the runniness is lost, colle then slightly peel and quarter. Heat a non-stick pan, add olive oil and bread, stir until brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the big leaves around the base and side of a large serving platter. Add tomato, warm beans, tuna chunks and hard-boiled egg.
For the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a glass jar and shake well to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad, mixing it in very gently. Layer the croutons, olives and anchovies on top and serve.
Note: I use the Ortiz Tuna in Olive Oil for a slightly posh salad or a tin of Sirena tuna. Ortiz anchovies add a lovely flavour.