- 250g dried borlotti or cannellini beans
- 400g bacon bones
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- ½ small Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 150g maccheroncini (short macaroni) or other dried pasta
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
Soak beans overnight in cold water. Next day, place drained beans in a large pot with bacon bones, potato, onion, celery, cabbage, carrot, garlic and parsley. Add enough water to just cover ingredients. Simmer gently for about 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding water from time to time to keep up the level of liquid.
When beans are cooked, puree half of the mix through a food mill and then return to soup. Remove bacon bones, shred meat from them and return it to soup with the pasta. Cook for a further 20 minutes or until pasta is ready. Stir in oil and parmesan. Season to taste.
Enjoy with La Bohéme Act Two Pinot Noir Rosé